Thursday, October 29, 2009

Second Poetry Assignment - Elegy

Our second poetry assignment was to write an elegy, or a poem of mourning. I immediately thought of my father. At the time of his death, I wrote a decent amount, but it was very much stream-of-consciousness (see "Life Out of Order" post), rather than concise, athletic writing.

I'm worried that this poem does too much telling, and not enough showing. Still, it's the first thoughtful piece ever written about my father's death, so at least a good start.

Fatherless daughters

by Stephanie McLellan

Astoria awoke in muffled light, and

Unfurled itself, unshuttering its shops,

Revealing glass cases full of watches, and

Walls patterned with five dollar t-shirts.

Its people stretched and yawned,

Showered and dressed, stepped out the door.


The N train snaked its way overhead,

Shuddering and squealing around each curve.

Commuters wore foundations of exhaustion,

Over which they painted lipstick, and somber faces,

Succumbing to the rocking lull of the train, their

Eyelids falling slack, then bursting open at a jarring jerk.


Their destination, a Manhattan station, throbbed with footsteps,

Anonymous bodies shoving and slipping past one another,

Turnstiles revolving and clicking at a furious pace.


Above ground, I mimicked the crowd, darting about,

Tapping out steps in my heels, faking my morning rush

Until I stumbled on the curb, scattering my thoughts.


That's when it happened. For one minute,

You were breathing again, moving again--alive.

Your calloused hands busied themselves,

Tuning your guitar, or maybe rolling the radio dial,

Settling on conservative radio. Or maybe, you were

Thinking of me, and how we haven't spoken for weeks.


But then I catch myself, and you're gone again.

Cruel memory stings me, pummels me, and wrenches away my breath,

Unleashing an ache that stems from my chest to my arms.

How awful is it, forgetting only to remember suddenly, as if

Hearing her monotone delivery of yesterday's news all over again?

The news I always forecasted but never expected.


I paused, struck by pedestrians and the sudden realization:

The world is filled with fatherless daughters.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Steph, that was really moving, it really struck me...my eyes literally watered as your poem brought back a lot of feelings from when my grandpa died.

DiveBarIntellect said...

Thank you, Megan--I'm sorry about your grandpa. I'm glad this resonated with you, although I'm sorry about the tears.:(

Unknown said...

It's funny...you think it's over and it always comes back. My grandpa died before I met you; I think, it was summer after freshman year. It was a long time ago but he retried when I was in elementary school so he spent a LOT of time with me...more time than my dad becuase my dad worked so much. My grandpa was so funny and really patient...he worked a lot when his kids were younger so I think he took me as that last chance to "be there". Grandparent-hood seems to be so different from parenthood. I always lament that Jay and the girls will never know him.

DiveBarIntellect said...

I know what you mean. It kills me to know that my kids will never know their grandfather. My dad would have been an awesome Grandpa.

I remember you talking about him in high school. I never knew him, but I knew you loved him a lot.:)