Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Poetry for Beginners: Because I wasn't bad enough the first time around

Now that I'm 28 years old, I think it's time to fall back into old habits. Which habits? Well, one in particular--writing horrible poetry.

I know what you're thinking. "Stephanie, you're such a tremendously brilliant, mind-numbingly talented writer; how could you write bad poetry?" I know, it's hard to believe, but I assure you, I am no poet.

This blog post is a perfect demonstration of this fact. As I write this, I should actually be writing my first poetry assignment. I have no idea how to write an image for each of the five senses though. And I have no idea what sort of metaphor to start out with. So, I'm writing a blog.

A short one, though, because I would like to get this assignment in on time, since I'll be one of the first "poets" workshopped in class. I'm already thinking this is a horrible idea.

Why can't I just write a short story? I don't even know if I could manage that right now. This "creative voice" is dusty and handicapped. Why'd I volunteer to go first?

No comments: